Skip to content
- Read the instructions on the label and treat only the eye stated.
- Using eye ointment can be a little more difficult than using eye drops. You will find it becomes easier with practice. You could also ask someone to do it for you.
- Wash your hands with soap and water or hand sanitiser if water is not available.
- Take the cap off the tube. Avoid touching the top of the ointment.
- Lie down or sit with your head tilted back.
- Pull down the lower lid of the eye to form a pouch or pocket and look up.
- Gently apply a strip of ointment (about 1cm) inside the inner surface of the lower lid, trying not to touch the eye or eyelid with the top of the tube.
- Close the eye for two minutes.
- Remove any excess ointment from your eyelashes with a clean tissue.
- Replace the cap on the tube and store the tube in a cool place.
- If you miss a dose do not try to catch up by taking more than one dose at once.
- If you are using eye drops around the same time then use the ointment about 5 minutes after the eye drops.
- Your vision may be blurred for a short time afterwards. Don’t drive or operate machinery after the eye drops.
- Keep all medicines out of the reach of children. Avoid taking medicine in front of young children – they may copy your behaviour.
- Never share your medicines, even if someone else has similar symptoms.