History of the Library
The Ronald Lowe Library is located on the first floor of the James Edward Neild House, next door to the Victorian Artists’ Society.
In 1890 the Australian Medical Journal in Melbourne published a catalogue of books and journals in Melbourne libraries, brought about by Sir James Barrett. The subject of this material was on the physiology and pathology of the eye, ear and throat.
At the instigation of Dr Ronald F Lowe and Dr KG Howsam, Medical Superintendent of The Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital (granted Queen’s patronage in 1960) and with the cooperation of the Committee of Management a professional librarian was appointed in 1954.
Dr Lowe was a member of The Royal Victorian Eye & Ear Hospital Library Committee since its inception and served as Chairman of the Committee at various intervals until his retirement due to ill health in September 1997. He was Chairman of The Ophthalmological Society of Australia’s Library Committee from 1953 to 1961 when he became Honorary Librarian. He resigned as Honorary Librarian of the College in September 1997 due to illness. On 27 September 1982, the Committee of Management decided to name The Royal Victorian Eye & Ear Hospital Medical Library, The Ronald Lowe Library, to honour Dr Lowe’s long and dedicated involvement